FAQs

HOW SAFE IS HYPOCHLOROUS? 

HOCl is non-toxic so there’s no harsh chemical residue behind. It’s gentle enough that it will not irritate the skin, eyes or respiratory tract like other chemical-based sanitizers. No gloves, face mask or rinsing is necessary. Even if ingested by accident, it causes no harm. It is safe enough to be used around your children, home, pets and food.

Our biodegradable solution is Certified GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) by the USDA and US FDA given it's environmentally friendly and sustainable. The FDA cleared hypochlorous acid as an antimicrobial agent for use on meat, poultry, fish & seafood, fruits & vegetables and shell eggs as a no-rinse sanitizer. The USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP) confirmed in 2014 that electrolyzed water (hypochlorous acid) is allowed in organic production and handling. 

USDA Memo: National Organic Program   

WHAT INDUSTRIES USE HYPOCHLOROUS?

Hypochlorous is used in hospitals, veterinary clinics, dental practices, opthamologist clinics, schools, daycare facilities, restaurants, food & beverage processing, livestock, agriculture, water treatment, and pharmaceutical manufacturing to name a few. In the medical area it’s used for disinfection and sterilization of equipment, for irrigation of wounds and disinfecting facilities against MRSA and other bacteria.

Optometry Times Article: Hypochlorous Acid Harnessing Nature's Germ Killer

ScienceDirect - Electrolyzed Water

GreenLodgingNews - Why Using Electrolyzed Water For Cleaning Makes Sense

WHY ARE WE JUST HEARING MORE ABOUT THIS AMAZING PRODUCT NOW?

Hypochlorous has been nature’s miracle worker and in the commercial arena for more than 100 years. Until recently there wasn’t an easy way to manufacture a version that had a sustainable shelf-life thereby limiting traditional consumer access. However, technology innovation has changed that so we can create hypochlorous acid that maintains its efficacy while also leaving no salt residue.

HOW DOES HYPOCHLOROUS COMPARE TO ALCOHOL-BASED HAND SANITIZERS?

Our hypochlorous solution is an excellent no-rinse hand cleanser giving you peace of mind it eliminates bacteria and viruses but without the harsh effects of continued exposure to alcohol. Many become allergic to these products with repeated use causing hand dermatitis. Rough dry hands can crack and these open wounds are even more susceptible to the very germs you’re trying to kill.

Forbes Article: How Bacteria Becomes Resistant to Hand Sanitizer

HOW IS HYPOCHLOROUS MORE EFFICIENT THAN CHLORINE BLEACH?

Hypochlorous and Chlorine Bleach (Hypochlorite) are molecular cousins. In fact, a tiny bit of hypochlorous survives the bleach making process. Chlorine bleach has been a staple of disinfection for generations however it has major drawbacks: 

  • It has a very limited amount of free available chlorine (the active disinfecting agent). This means the concentration needed is high enough to kill cells and hurt people. 
  • Chlorine Bleach is very caustic leading to damaged skin, lungs, equipment and fabrics.
  • Chlorine Bleach actually repels pathogens. Since both Chlorine Bleach and pathogens are electrostatically negatively charged they end up repelling each other.  This can only be overcome with a longer dwell time or higher concentration of bleach. Neither of which are good when it comes to keeping you safe and healthy.

    WHAT DOES HOSPITAL GRADE DISINFECTION MEAN?

    The gold standard for disinfecting is measuring the amount of ATP remaining on surfaces.  ATP is the food and energy source pathogens use to replicate and remain virulent on surfaces. Hospitals use ATP testing instead of plate testing because they know that new pathogens are introduced constantly to all the surfaces we touch and limiting their ability to reproduce is the #1 way they can keep their patients from contracting further infections. Hypochlorous is extremely efficient at converting ATP to ADP essentially turning a fully charged battery to a dead useless battery. 

    WHAT DOES YOUR ON-SITE DISINFECTION PROTOCOL DO?

    Our disinfection protocol starts by sending one of our specialists to you. In only 30-90 minutes your specialist will electrochemically activate our hypochlorous solution and apply a fine mist of the solution to your entire office focusing on high contact areas and areas missed when using wipes alone.  These areas include the flat surfaces of doors, handles of toilets and dispensers, edges of tables and countertops, backs of chairs, and many more areas that are touched often but seldom disinfected.

    WHAT IS THE SHELF-LIFE OF HYPOCHLOROUS? 

    HOCl can have a shelf-life of 3 to 6 months if stored correctly. We recommend keeping the product in an opaque container that blocks UV light, keeping a lid on the container to avoid unnecessary exposure to oxygen, and avoiding environments that are too hot or too cold. Any of these are factors that can degrade the product’s efficacy.

    IS IT SAFE ON FABRIC? 

    Hypochlorous is produced at a near-neutral pH and will not cause bleaching or discoloration in most cases, but some lower quality dyes may bleed when exposed to hypochlorous. Our recommendation is to test a small area before using it. 

    Want to Learn More? Complete the form and a disinfecting specialist will call you!